Witness

Witness

Monday, May 31, 2010

Butternut and Dixie Gray

We lost so many that day,
some wore butternut...
some Dixie gray.

All we wanted then was som' to eat -
hardly a man with shoes on his feet,
but we was ready to march again....
that is certain to be true,
That is if'n it was under the Stars and Bars...
flyin' the Bonnie Blue.

We were strong and ready,
fightin' next to Bobby Lee...
even nf' there was a blue storm near to us,
we were'nt about to flee...

Many a Reb and Yank died that day,
when bastard Abe ordered Fredericksburg to be burned.
Yanks killed some of those that dared to stay,
even before the butter was churned...

I saw the fields of battle with dead and dying strewn,
the fire ran through my veins - my soul aflame ...
like a burning cocoon.

I swore on my Mama's grave I'd live thru this here war..
but I ain't turnin' my back on the soldiers of  the  51st Virginney Corps.

We all heard Stonewall's goin' to flank them yanks come tomorrow morn',
So we'll stand tall each aside with powder dry...
our Colors weathered and torn.

We've been battle dressed...by the Yankee blood on our hands,
and still we've the will to fight,
from this here soil -
now where our battle flag stands.

We'll chase em' back today,
all these brave men and me...
som livin' and som dying...
all wearing Butternut and Dixie Gray.


Posted by Gregory Sexton at 7:40 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment